- Cooking spray
- 1 heaping cup mashed banana
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or skim, coconut, etc.)
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 9-inch loaf pan with nonstick organic cooking spray.
- In large bowl combine mashed banana, applesauce, honey, egg, almond milk and vanilla until well combined and creamy. In separate medium bowl whisk together whole wheat flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until just combined (don’t overmix!).
- Pour into prepared loaf pan, sprinkle oats over top (if desired), and bake for 60-70 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean with a few crumbs attached.
- Remove from oven and place on wire rack to cool completely. Cut into 12 slices and enjoy! Keep bread tightly wrapped to maintain moisture.
Our contributing mom made these in single-serve sizes.
To make vegan:Use brown sugar, agave, or pure maple syrup instead of honey. Simply omit egg; the banana bread should still hold together just fine. However you can use a flax egg as well. To make gluten free:Use an all-purpose gluten free flour instead of whole wheat; make sure you also use gluten free oats and that all other ingredients are gluten/alcohol free (such as vanilla).
Submitted by Alisha P.