Serves 2 Adults and 1 Baby generously
- 225 g (8 oz) red lentils, rinsed thoroughly in cold water and drained
- 450 mL (16 oz) of water
- oil or butter, preferably unsalted, for frying
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 100 g (3.5 oz) grated cheese
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 25 g (1 oz) fresh bread crumbs
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Put the lentils into a pan with water and bring to a boil. Then cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes until the lentils are soft and all the liquid is absorbed. Check occasionally and skim off any froth.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil or butter in a frying pan and add the onion and fry until soft.
- Drain the lentils and the onion and put them in a mixing bowl.
- Add the other ingredients and mix well.
- Press into the prepared tin using the back of a spoon.
- Oven bake for 30 minutes. Allow to cool slightly, then cut into wedges. Serve warm or cold.
Submitted by Kathy A.